Sr. Network Engineer
Sr. Network Engineer
Boston, MA (primarily remote with ability to be on-site when needed)
Contract – 1 year
The Sr. Network Engineer is responsible for the design, testing and implementation of the University’s LAN, WLAN, WAN, Internet, Intranet, and Cloud network infrastructure. This includes development and testing of router, switch, and wireless hardware and network management server configurations; supporting/troubleshooting of network/system problems; coordinating with vendors for installation of network hardware and systems, and implementation plans and timelines.
The Sr. Network Engineer will work with IT, the business, and 3rd party vendors regarding design, implementation and support of systems, networks and applications associated with a world class university production-computing environment.
This position will report to the Network Architect and will bring a strong in-depth knowledge of all aspects of network information systems in a large environment. They will work together with the stakeholders, leadership and subject matter experts to effectively design, test, implement and support effective technical solutions that maps to the organization's strategy, processes, information, and information technology assets. These solutions will be engineered not only to serve the current needs of the organization but also with strong consideration for providing service well into the future.
Sr. Network Engineer Duties and Responsibilities:
The Sr. Network Engineer should possess analytical, problem-solving and communication skills. They should be a team-building, detail-oriented leader with extensive knowledge of various types of network, security and wireless systems. Strong time management and critical thinking skills are also necessary. In addition to these vital abilities, the Sr. Network Engineer should also be capable of the following:
- Assessing the university’s network needs
- Designing the network infrastructure including router, switch, wireless, firewall, VPN, load balancing, and network management server configurations
- Developing short- and long-term roadmaps for technology and services
- Designing and recommending data network systems that are tested and proven to meet current and projected demands
- Implementing new network technologies and services and integrating with existing systems
- Communicating effectively with internal university partners and clients
- Effectively managing external partners and suppliers
- Clearly documenting requirements and designs
- Communicating proposals and implementation planning to network engineering and operations teams
- Working with network engineering and operations teams and applying troubleshooting skills to resolve network and system issues
- Coordinating with vendors for installation of network and systems hardware and developing project implementation plans and timelines
- Developing network configuration templates for standardized configuration deployment
- Deploying network devices, firmware updates, and configuration changes in an automated fashion utilizing scripting and automation platforms
- Ensuring optimal design, operation, interoperability and performance of network related hardware and software
- Keeping abreast of industry trends and changes in network software and hardware technologies in order to improve current service levels
- Being available off-hours for emergencies and change windows as required
- Performing regular on-call duties as scheduled
- Facilitating training and development of network engineering and operations teams across all platforms to ensure solid understanding of the overall infrastructure
- Analyzing solution requirements and assisting with the technical design and implementation to address complex business and technology needs
- Adhering to problem resolution and escalation procedures, documenting, and responding to all related system problems and resolving them on a timely basis
- Having a strong knowledge of IT operational and technical support process frameworks
- Notifying management of problem areas and developing backup strategies and emergency plans
Sr. Network Engineer Technical Skills:
- Network Segmentation
- Network Abstraction
- Data Center
- Network Access Control
- Routing (BGP, OSPF)
- Network Virtualization Fabrics/Overlays (MPLS/VPLS, L3VPN, EVPN-VXLAN)
- Cloud (AWS, Azure)
- Scripting and Automation
- Network Monitoring
- Optical DWDM
- Palo Alto
- Netbox/Nautobot, Ansible, Python, Perl, or similar
- Exceptional documentation skills that can clearly articulate technical designs, issues and constraints, procedures, and assessments
- Excellent presentation and communication skills regarding technical and non-technical concepts
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish professional working relationships with varying levels of both business and technical personnel
- Ability to drive development of standards and implementation of automation
- Minimum 8 years’ experience working with Network Routing, Switching, Wireless, and Network Security.
- Bachelor's degree or 4 additional years of comparable work experience beyond the required years of experience may be substituted in lieu of a bachelor's degree
- 10+ years of experience with Networking technology
- Advanced Certification in Networking
- Exceptional planning and project implementation skills to achieve high visibility solutions
- Exceptional communication skills
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to prioritize and balance workload in a high-demand environment
- Previous experience in Higher Education environments
POST-OFFER BACKGROUND CHECK IS REQUIRED. Digital Prospectors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Make this your next career move as one of our many long-term contractors or employees!
- Work as our full-time employee with full benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, STD, LTD, PTO, etc.) - OR - work as a W2 hourly contractor at a higher pay rate if you don't need the benefit package.
Come see why DPC has achieved:
- 4.9/5 Star Glassdoor rating and the only staffing company (< 1000 employees) to be voted in the national Top 10 ‘Employee’s Choice - Best Places to Work’ by Glassdoor
- Voted ‘Best Staffing Firm to Temp For’ three times by Staffing Industry Analysts as well as a ‘Best Company to Work For’ by Forbes, Fortune and Inc. magazine.